Recipe of the Month
March – Simnel Cake
Our Catering team would love you to have a go at making our tasty Recipe of the Month.
|For the cake:|
| 7oz Butter or Margarine|
| 7oz Soft Brown Sugar|
| 3 Free Range Eggs, Beaten|
| 7oz Plain Flour|
|Pinch of Salt|
| 1 Teaspoon of Mixed Spice|
| 12oz of Mixed Currents, Raisins and Sultanas|
| 2oz of Mixed Peel|
| Zest of a Whole Lemon|
|For the Almond Paste:|
|8oz Caster Sugar|
|8oz Ground Almonds|
|2 Free Range Eggs|
|1 Tsp Almond Essence|
For the cake:
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, gradually add the egg a little at a time until well incorporated.
- Sift the flour, salt and mixed spice into your mixture and stir well.
- Finally, add your mixed fruit, peel and zest and stir well.
- Bake in a 7/8 inch cake tin bake in the oven on 160 degrees celcius for around 1 ¾hr.
- Test by inserting a skewer in the middle. If skewer comes out clean its ready.
- Set aside on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, roll out your almond paste to a 9 inch round diameter.
- Once your cake has slightly cooled place your almond paste on the top of your cake to look like a table cloth, then serve when fully cooled
For the almond paste:
- Place sugar, almonds, egg and almond essence in a bowl and mix until you get a fairly soft consistency.
- Once you have a soft enough consistency, knead for one minute or until the paste is smooth and pliable.
- Wrap with cling film and leave to rest in the fridge until later.
Share with us!
Upload photos of your culinary creations to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram – we’d love to see them! Use #oddsfarmrecipe or mention us @oddsfarmpark and let us know how you got on.